- Sauté garlic and onion in oil. Add in the tuna and simmer for a minute.
- Add the carrots and pour the dissolved Mama Sita”s Caldereta Mix.
- Add the sugar and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Thicken mixture with cornstarch. Lastly, add the green peas. Cool before filling.
- For the crust : In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and sugar together. Add the shortening to flour mixture and cut it with a pastry blender until sandy. Add water 1 tbsp at a time to form into a ball. Roll out the dough and cut into 1 ½” round pieces.
- Place 1 teaspoonful of the prepared filling at the center of each piece of crust. Fold it forming half moon shape pieces. Twist the edges to seal completely.
- Arrange them on cookie sheet and brush top with egg wash (mix egg yolk and milk).
- Bake at 350ºF for about 30 minutes. If oven is not available, you may opt to fry the empanadas until golden (drain before serving).
Mama Sita’s Caldereta Mix
Tuna, flaked, drained
Carrots, finely chopped
1 ½ tsp
Cornstarch, dissolved in:
1 ½ tsp
Frozen green peas (optional)
2 ½ cup
Water, ice cold