- Heat the pan, add the coconut meat. Toast the coconut meat until golden brown. Transfer the toasted coconut in food processor to get fine texture. Set aside.
- Combine ginger, red onion, red chili, and sakurab in food processor to get paste texture.
- Heat the oil in a pot, over moderate heat, add the spice paste and fry for 5 minutes until it is fragrant and dark red in color.
- Add the beef, stir it until it is coated with the spice paste and cook it for 10 mins.
- Add turmeric powder, ground and toasted coconut meat, Mama Sita’s Oyster Sauce, and gata. Stir. Lower the heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
- When the beef is slightly tender, add the kakang gata, salt, and black pepper. Let it cook until beef is tender and the gravy is thick. Turn off the heat.
- Serve with hot rice and sliced cucumber.
Coconut meat, grated
Sakurab (or substitute with Lemongrass)
Red onion (large), sliced
Mama Sita's Oyster Sauce
Black pepper, ground